Related Galleries: California Photography | California Coast Pictures | San Gabriel Valley Pictures | Panoramic Photography | California State Parks Photography
About Los Angeles
Los Angeles is a sprawling metropolis located in Southern California. Known for its year-round sunshine, diverse culture, and entertainment industry, it is a major global city and one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world to do a photo shoot.
One of the most iconic symbols of the city is the Hollywood Sign, a giant white lettering on the hillside of Mount Lee in the Hollywood Hills. The sign is a cultural icon and a must-see for visitors. Hollywood is also home to the TCL Chinese Theatre, which has been the site of many famous movie premieres, and the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which features the stars of thousands of celebrities.
Another popular attraction is the family friendly Griffith Observatory, which offers a great view of the city and the stars. The observatory is also home to a planetarium and exhibits on astronomy and space science. Visitors can also take a hike to the Griffith Observatory for a panoramic view of the downtown skyline.
Beaches such as Venice Beach and Santa Monica Beach are popular spots for swimming, sunbathing, and outdoor activities. Visitors can also enjoy the famous Muscle Beach outdoor gym, where Arnold Schwarzenegger and other bodybuilders used to train.
LA is also home to many world-class museums, including the Getty Center and the Museum of Contemporary Art. The Getty Center is a stunning campus-like complex that features art, architecture, and gardens, while the Museum of Contemporary Art offers rotating exhibitions of modern and contemporary art.
Food lovers will enjoy the diverse range of cuisines available, from traditional Mexican and Korean dishes to trendy vegan and farm-to-table options. The street food scene is also well known, with food trucks and carts offering a diverse array of options.
The entertainment industry is also a major draw for visitors, with many famous studios such as Warner Bros and Universal Studios Hollywood offering behind-the-scenes tours and attractions. Visitors can also catch a live taping of a TV show or attend a red carpet premiere.
Notable Neighborhoods in L.A.
Los Angeles is a large and diverse city, with many different neighborhoods that each have their own unique character and attractions. Some of the most notable neighborhoods in LA include:
- The Westside: Includes neighborhoods such as Beverly Hills, Westwood, and Santa Monica, and is known for its upscale atmosphere, luxury shopping and high-end restaurants. It is also home to many celebrities and affluent residents.
- The Eastside: Featuring neighborhoods such as Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Los Feliz, and is known for its bohemian atmosphere, art scene and trendy restaurants and bars. It's also home to many artists, musicians, and writers.
- The San Fernando Valley: Located to the north of the city and it's known for its diverse neighborhoods, such as North Hollywood, Studio City, and Sherman Oaks. It's also home to famous studios such as Warner Bros and Universal Studios Hollywood, which offer behind-the-scenes tours and attractions.
- Downtown: This is the heart of the city, where visitors can find the historic core of the city, modern skyscrapers, and museums. The area is home to the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Walt Disney Concert Hall, and the Grand Central Market, a food hall featuring a diverse array of cuisines.
- South Los Angeles: Known for its diverse neighborhoods, including Inglewood, Culver City and South Central. South L.A. is also home to cultural landmarks such as the Leimert Park Village, which is a center of African American art and culture, and the Museum of African American Art.
- Beach Cities: The coastal area includes popular beach communities such as Venice Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Manhattan Beach. They are known for their lively beach scene, outdoor activities, and beach culture.
- Hollywood Hills: The Hollywoods are perhaps best known for its iconic Hollywood sign and the famous Griffith Park, which is home to the Griffith Observatory, offering a great view of the city and the stars. Visitors can also take a hike to the Observatory for a panoramic view of the city.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most photogenic building in Los Angeles?
The Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles. Designed by famed architect, Frank Gehry, the deconstructivism style of architecture of this building is instantly recognizable.
What are the classic scenic views of Los Angeles?
Mulholland Drive and Griffith Park are arguably the most popular areas to experience Los Angeles scenic views.
What are the most beautiful beaches in Los Angeles?
Santa Monica Beach and Venice Beach are the most popular beaches for people-watching but when it comes to scenery it's hard to top El Matador State Beach in Malibu. Further south there is Point Vicente Lighthouse which is located on a bluff above the ocean with Catalina Island in the background.
Be the first to view new artwork releases, be notified of artist events and receive promotional offers.